It’s up to Floyd

Written By Fighthits on Monday, April 14, 2014 | 4:42 PM

Source: Nick Giongco | Tempo

LAS VEGAS — The boxing world will be seeing more of Manny Pacquiao but it remains fuzzy if the future includes Floyd Mayweather.

“I want to fight two more years,” said Pacquiao after he beat up Tim Bradley on Saturday night at the MGM Grand.

Pacquiao said he is never running away from a challenge and that it is all up to Mayweather if the fight everyone wants to see will become a reality or not.

“Our line is open 24 hours, seven days a week,” said Pacquiao, whose arrival was delayed by the fact that his cut on his left eyebrow had to be stitched up by a renowned doctor.

While setting up the stage for the Pacquiao-Mayweather is not really hopeless, Pacquiao said reaching a deal seems to be difficult.

“We’ve been trying to do this fight the last few years but it’s been hard. We’ve been talking about it for so long.”

Mayweather has a scheduled fight on May 3 and he should have no problems taking care of Marco Maidana, a hard-hitting Argentine whose style is custom-made for the elusive US fighter.

With Mayweather a remote possibility, all roads lead to the winner of the May 17 slugfest between Juan Manuel Marquez and Mike Alvarado in Los Angeles.

It’ll be a lot easier for Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum to put the fight together since they all are under the Top Rank banner.

A loss or even a win but a close one Saturday could have pointed to another direction for Paquiao since he was being groomed to score a knockout.

But Pacquiao’s clear-cut win only suggests that his retirement will have to be put on hold until after two years.
Arum was impressed by Pacquiao’s showing, stressing that Bradley was not an ordinary fighter.

“He’s fighting Tim Bradley, who has not been kayoed. He’s fighting one of the great welterweights in the world. And somebody who’s got cement in his feet.”

Arum said Pacquiao will likely return to the ring again in November with Macau expressing its desire to host another Pacquiao headliner there following the smashing success of the fighter’s debut last year.

Pacquiao remains under contract with Top Rank until the end of this year and an extension has already been talked about, according to Arum. (Nick Giongco)